" />

Why You Should Look into Using a Heat Pump This Fall

Posted: 2021-09-16

In less than two weeks, the seasons are going to change. The trees will adjust their colors, and the weather is going to be neither too hot nor too cold. What this means is that you don’t have to crank up the thermostat to get your desired temperatures. But have you considered using a heat pump instead of a furnace during this time of year?

Four Seasons Air Specialists is your partner in establishing a completely comfortable home sans the exorbitant energy costs. As your trusted HVAC company in North Oaks MN. we havepartnered with some of the best names in the industry. We offer energy-efficient home comfort systems, including heat pumps. These appliances are designed to provide your heating needs when the temperatures are milder.

Understanding Heat Pumps

A heat pump is a versatile device that pulls energy out of the air to either cool or heat a space — a process known as space conditioning. It functions as a heat engine in reverse, as it works from an input of electricity to move heat from a cold place to a warm place. In residential applications, a heat pump extracts heat from the outside air, increases the heat, and pushes the air indoors. This process is reversed during warmer weather, extracting the warm air from your home and moving it outdoors.

Heat Pump Vs. Furnace

During this time of year, you have two efficient choices to keep your home comfortable: a furnace or a heat pump. But what is the difference?

A furnace generates heat by burning oil or gas and circulating that heat throughout your home. Meanwhile, a heat pump only uses a power source (electricity) and refrigerant to move heat from one place to another.

Let’s talk about energy efficiency. Today, the best-performing furnaces convert as much as 99 percent of the fuel into heat while the remaining 1 percent escapes elsewhere. This percentage depends on how good the insulation in your home is, and your heating or cooling habits.

On the other hand, a heat pump can be up to three times as efficient, using only one unit of electricity to move three units of heat energy — that’s a 300 percent energy-efficiency rating! This way, you save a significant amount of money on utility costs by choosing to run a heat pump when it’s not ferociously cold.

Advantages

Lower Operational Costs

Compared to combustion-based HVAC systems, heat pumps are three times as energy-efficient. This efficiency in using energy means more savings for you and your family. With proper use and regular maintenance, using a heat pump can save you hundreds if not thousands of dollars in energy costs per year.

Environment-Friendly

Heat pumps have high Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratios (SEER), making them an environment-friendly way to cool or heat your home. Since they don’t burn fossil fuels, they significantly lower your carbon footprint. If you heat your home with electricity, a heat pump can minimize the amount of energy you consume for heating by as much as 30 to 40 percent. Using a heat pump will help sure your children and the next generations can enjoy our planet the way we do now.

Minimum Maintenance

Because running a heat pump does not involve the burning of fuel, it requires less maintenance. The only upkeep you need to do is to do a visual inspection of the system, making sure there are no obstructions to the airflow in the indoor and outdoor units, etc. Also, it is recommended to have it checked by a qualified professional at least once every three years. He will inspect the system for leaks and make sure the unit has the right amount of refrigerant.

Longer Lifespan

With proper maintenance and care, a heat pump can serve you for as long as 15 to 20 years. With the help of a heat pump expert who will periodically take care of your unit, you can rely on this HVAC system for up to two decades!

Ask the Heat Pump Professionals

To find out more about heat pumps, be sure to call Four Seasons Air Specialists. We are ready to answer any questions you may have and help you find the right heat pump for your home. We are your preferred White Bear AC company serving you since 1974.