Why Consider Installing an Energy-Efficient Furnace

Posted: 2020-01-30

Frequent visits from HVAC professionals for repairs and excessively high utility bills are two of the most common issues a lot of homeowners are dealing with concerning their old, inefficient furnace.

A typical old gas furnace only converts about 70 percent of fuel to heat. If you fail to properly maintain your aging unit, you possibly are spending more to run it. This is the part where you are faced with the inevitable: replacing your heating system.

Should you decide to supersede your old unit for a new one, be sure to reach out to Four Seasons Air Specialists, your trusted heating company in Grant MN. We have a wide array of energy-efficient heating systems manufactured by Lennox, a premier name in home comfort solutions.

Understanding a Furnace’s Energy Efficiency

The efficiency of a furnace is measured by its annual fuel utilization efficiency (AFUE) rating, which is a standard of how efficient the appliance is in terms of converting the energy in its fuel to heat over the course of a typical year.

To be precise, AFUE is the ratio of the annual heat output of a heating system in contrast to its total annual fossil fuel consumption. A furnace having at least 90 percent AFUE is considered a high-efficiency heating system. This means that the furnace converts 90 percent of its fuel to heat while the other 10 percent escapes up the chimney or elsewhere.

The Federal Trade Commission requires all manufacturers to display the AFUE on their furnaces so consumers can compare the energy efficiencies of various models.

The Advantages of Having an Energy-Efficient Furnace

The ENERGY STAR Certification

Most high-efficiency furnaces possess the ENERGY STAR® seal of approval. ENERGY STAR products are the same or better than standard products, only they use less energy. To earn the ENERGY STAR label, furnaces must adhere to strict energy efficiency criteria set by the US Environmental Protection Agency or the US Department of Energy. Since they consume less energy, these appliances save you money on your electricity bill and help protect the environment by causing fewer harmful emissions from power plants; and you get the features and quality you expect.

ENERGY STAR certified furnaces have higher Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency (AFUE) ratings and higher efficiency blower motors, making them more efficient than regular models.

When your home is properly insulated and air sealed, you can get better heating performance from your ENERGY STAR qualified furnace.

Tax Credits

Because of the many benefits they offer, high-efficiency furnaces are recommended not only by manufacturers, but also by the U.S. government itself, which particularly offers a federal tax credit of up to 30 percent, or up to $1500 if you invest in a high-efficiency furnace for your home. This tax credit helps you recoup some of the initial investment costs.

Improved Safety

Also known as condensing furnaces, high-efficiency heating systems use an electronic ignition system that has been proven safe and reliable compared to old furnaces that are equipped with a standing pilot light. This ignition system only uses heat when the furnace needs it.

Unmatched Energy-Efficiency

In addition to having higher energy-efficiency ratings, condensing furnaces incorporate a heat-saving technology. Unlike traditional furnaces, high-efficiency heating systems capture most of the heat that would normally escape, thanks to the secondary heat exchanger. This component is made from corrosion-resistant stainless steel, which is usually covered by a long-term warranty.

Unparalleled Comfort

In recent years, technological advancements allowed manufacturers to design HVAC systems that generate more consistent heating and cooling in every room in your home. High-efficiency systems also provide unchanging levels of airflow and have exceptional humidity control. These systems are provided with variable-speed motors that supply the right amount of airflow throughout your home, which increases the static pressure in your ducts. As a result, more consistent heated or cooled air is allocated in every register.

Ask the Heating Masters

For more information on high-efficiency furnaces, do not hesitate to call Four Seasons Air Specialists. We will answer any home heating question you may have and provide relevant information to help you choose the right system for your home. We are your preferred Mahtomedi furnace installation company.