Does it Make Sense to Invest in High-Efficiency HVAC Systems?

Posted: 2019-05-02

Your HVAC system is the biggest energy consumer in your home, accounting to about half of your total monthly utility costs. For this reason, you, as the homeowner has to start making a wise decision about your heating, cooling, and ventilation systems, which have a direct impact on your comfort levels as well as your energy costs. If you suspect your existing HVAC system has become to difficult to maintain and it can no longer provide your comfort needs, it may be time to upgrade to a new, high-efficiency unit.

Four Seasons Air Specialists is your preferred HVAC company in North Oaks MN that offers some of the most energy-efficient home comfort systems available on the market today.

Efficiency Levels of Furnaces and Air Conditioners

Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency (AFUE) measures a gas furnace's efficiency in transforming fuel into energy. A heating system that has an 80 percent AFUE rating can convert 80 percent of the energy it consumes into heat. The other 20 percent is consumed during the heating process.

The rule of thumb is that a higher AFUE rating means greater energy efficiency. The minimum standard AFUE for new furnaces is 78 percent. A mid-efficiency furnace usually has an AFUE rating between 80 and 85 percent, while a high-efficiency unit has a rating between 90 and 98 percent. While high-efficiency units do cost more than their mid and low-efficiency counterparts, but they can provide you with maximum comfort and significant savings on your monthly utility bills.

On the other hand, the efficiency of an air conditioner is measured by its Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio (SEER) rating. High-efficiency AC units have higher SEERs than regular ones. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) required every air conditioner to have a SEER rating of 14 or higher. Today, some air conditioning units have SEER ratings of 30 and higher.

Benefits of High-Efficiency HVAC Systems

Superb Comfort

Advancements in technology allow manufacturers to build HVAC systems that produce more consistent heating and cooling in every room in your home. They also provide uniform levels of airflow and have top-tier humidity control. These systems have variable-speed motors that provide the right amount of airflow throughout your home. They increase the static pressure in your ducts, resulting in more heated or cooled air in every register. All of those factors are essential in creating a completely comfortable living environment.

Quiet Operation

If you are still running an old HVAC system, it is likely to begin to create more operational noise that it used to. Noisy operation is a sign of old age and an indicator of failing internal parts. On the other hand, modern HVAC systems utilize sound-absorbing materials that ensure your system provide your desired comfort levels sans the annoying sound.

Longer Lifespan

High-efficiency HVAC systems are engineered to maximize efficiency through on-off cycles. As a result, they last longer than traditional units. When professionally sized, installed, and maintained, high-efficiency furnaces and air conditioners can last for 15-25 years.

Less Maintenance

An older, conventional HVAC system is likely to break down more often in addition to running less efficiently compared to a new, high-efficiency unit. By upgrading to a new model, you’ll rid yourself of the headache associated with constant repairs and maintenance.

Better Home Value

You may enjoy making home improvements, but they add little to no value to your home. On the contrary, investing in a new, high-efficiency system provides not only lower energy costs, but it also increases your home’s resale value. When buyers shop around for homes, they consider the cost of utilities, HVAC repairs, and unit replacement. By investing a high-efficiency system in your home, you won’t have to worry about buyers who would underestimate your home’s value because of an outdated furnace or air conditioning system.

Lower Carbon Footprint

Everyone needs to consider their home’s impact to the environment. For this reason, investing in a high-efficiency HVAC system is the way to go. These devices use up to 35 percent less fuel than older units, which means they help conserve more of our natural resources.

Call the HVAC Gurus

For more information about high-efficiency HVAC systems, call Four Seasons Air Specialists, your trusted White Bear heating and air conditioning company.