Buying a High-Efficiency Furnace: Is it Worth the Price?

Posted: 2022-03-10

Every homeowner understands that buying a new furnace is a serious financial decision. Considering the fact that a brand-new unit can cost thousands of dollars, you should be careful in choosing the model on which you’ll put your money. Not only should you think about the initial cost, but you should also think long-term, which begs the question: is looking into a high-efficiency furnace worth it?

Four Seasons Air Specialists is your outstanding heating company in Dellwood MN. Over the past four decades, we have been helping families choose the right furnace for their home, making sure they have the right balance between comfort and energy efficiency. If you want to know the benefits of buying a high-efficiency furnace, keep reading.

Understanding Energy Efficiency

Annual fuel utilization efficiency (AFUE) is a measure of how efficient a furnace is in converting its fuel to usable heat over a typical year. It is the ratio of the annual heat output of the furnace versus the total annual fossil fuel energy is consumed.

For example, a furnace with 98 percent AFUE transforms 98 percent of the fuel to usable heat while the remaining 2 percent goes up the chimney or elsewhere. Today, the government has set a minimum AFUE for brand-new furnaces, which is 80 AFUE. On the other hand, heating systems that have an AFUE of 90 percent or more are considered high-efficiency units.

Advantages of a High-Efficiency Furnace

It uses a sealed combustion chamber.

A high-efficiency furnace, especially a condensing furnace, uses sealed combustion to bring air from the outside through an intake pipe. This part is different from a standard-efficiency furnace that uses open combustion, or the air inside the room where the furnace is situated.  

For the most part, a system with open combustion works fine. However, there are times when the furnace is located in a basement or crawlspace that is not sealed or insulated properly.  This issue can lead to a backdraft and carbon monoxide can be released within the air inside your home. With a sealed combustion chamber, you will not have to worry about this issue, lowering the risk of your home being contaminated with dangerous carbon monoxide.

It has the ENERGY STAR factor.

Most high-efficiency heating systems have the ENERGY STAR® label. ENERGY STAR-approved systems are the same or better than standard products, only they use far less energy. To earn the ENERGY STAR label, furnaces must meet strict energy efficiency criteria set by the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) or the US Department of Energy. Since they use less energy, these systems save you money on your electricity bill and help protect the environment by creating fewer harmful emissions plus you get the features and quality you expect.

It saves you a significant amount of money on energy.

Though purchasing a new high-efficiency furnace involves a serious amount of investment, depending on the change in AFUE, you can be looking at savings up to 30 percent and the furnace will practically pay for itself after a few years. Having said that, keep in mind that some construction may be required to accommodate drain lines and the additional CVC vent pipe found in high-efficiency furnaces. While getting a high-efficiency furnace can be a major investment, it will be better for your finances in the long run. We’re sure you’d love the idea of saving money each month.

It gives your home cleaner indoor air.

High-efficiency gas furnaces are engineered with better air filtration systems to catch pollutants before they can pollute your air. This setup is particularly useful if you live in an area that has a lot of dust and other pollutants. If you have family members with preexisting respiratory conditions, a high-efficiency furnace will significantly enhance your indoor air quality, giving you greater peace of mind.

Know More About High-Efficiency Furnaces with Four Seasons Air Specialists

These are just some of the benefits of investing in a high-efficiency furnace. If you want to get more information, don’t hesitate to give us a call. Our heating experts would love to help you pick the right unit for your needs. We are your reliable White Bear Lake heating and air conditioning installation company serving you with dedication and passion since 1974.