4 Things to Consider Before Buying a Furnace

Posted: 2019-12-05

Trying to keep up with a failing furnace can be quite frustrating. Given the fact that temperatures are only about to get lower, you should have a furnace that is up for the challenge. If you are looking for a new heating system, you have come to the right place.

Here at Four Seasons Air Specialists, we understand that choosing the right furnace for your home can be a little overwhelming. However, it is an important decision to make since it’s what will keep you warm in the midst of extremely cold weather. We are your trusted heating company in Lino Lakes MN and we want you to be able to distinguish a good unit from a bad one.

Here are important things to consider when looking for a brand-new furnace:


Furnaces aged 12 years or more tend to lose their efficiency and use more fuel to heat a home. They also are subject to frequent system failures, causing you stress and discomfort. When buying a new furnace, it is important that you correctly determine what size of the system you are going to install in your home.

Many homeowners were caught in the error of installing furnaces that were too large for their homes. Because of this, optimum efficiency was rarely achieved. The only consolation for them was that gas prices were much lower in the past than they are now.

Having a furnace that is too large for your home means consuming more fuel while making your home less comfortable. When the system starts, some areas may warm up too quickly and get uncomfortably warm before the thermostat is even able to make the right temperature reading. If your home doesn’t have quality insulation, this heat will easily escape, causing the unit to turn itself on and off (a process called short cycling). This causes the furnace’s lifespan to be shortened.

On the other hand, there are homeowners who buy a furnace that is too small for their home, putting too much emphasis on the upfront cost without considering the overall results.

If your furnace is undersized, it doesn’t have the capacity to properly heat your home. Therefore, it will need to run longer to raise the temperature, causing it to overheat. Over time, overheating causes your utility bills to rise and the unit to fail prematurely.

Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency (AFUE)

For those who aren’t yet aware of the efficiency ratings of furnaces, it’s important to determine the AFUE of a unit before deciding to buy it. Annul Fuel Utilization Efficiency (AFUE) gives you an idea how well a furnace performs in terms of energy-efficiency. This is a measure of how efficiently your furnace can utilize its fuel. The higher the rating, the more heat you will get per unit of fuel.

A furnace that has an AFUE of 96 means 96 percent of the fuel is converted to heat while the remaining 4 percent escapes up the chimney or elsewhere. Since your furnace is going to be a major energy consumer in your home, you should look for a high-efficiency unit, which is great at making your home comfortably warm while consuming less energy.

Warranty Coverage

Sadly, not every homeowner pays close attention to the warranty of a furnace before buying one. However, this is an important factor to consider, especially when the system fails unexpectedly or prematurely.

The warranty on your furnace will vary depending on the manufacturer, model, and dealer. High-efficiency furnaces usually have longer warranties compared to low-efficiency units. If a furnace has at least 90 percent AFUE, it is especially important to have a long-term warranty on the heat exchanger since this part is very expensive to replace or repair.

Zoning Capability

HVAC zoning gives you a personalized temperature setting for each zoned area, allowing every family member to sleep better and enjoy greater comfort throughout the day. When your home is divided into zones, you no longer have to spend money on heating unoccupied sections of your home, as you would pay to heat the ones you always use such as your bedrooms and kitchen.

Call the HVAC Experts

If you are looking for the perfect furnace for your home, call Four Seasons Air Specialists. We will answer your questions and provide you with relevant information. Our goal is to help you find the right unit and install it properly to ensure the best results. We are your reliable Centerville furnace installation company.